Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dead baby jokes anyone....

I am a sucker for dead baby jokes.  They are off color and make me laugh to no end.  What do you call a dead baby with no arms or legs in a swimming pool?  BOB!  Ok, not to make you think I am heartless or anything.  After so many years working at a mortuary that gives baby funerals for free I have seen a lot.  There is nothing more tragic than the loss of a child who hasn't even had the chance to find out who they were.  One child case I vividly remember was a 20 month old little boy.  Another coroners case I didn't have to pick this one up from his home but instead picked him up at the coroners office.  When we would go to the coroners office to pick up cases they were finished with we backed our vans into a large garage in the back of the building so no one could see.  A office adjoined the garage and two doors on opposite sides of the room.  One door lead into the offices, the second lead to two large refrigerators where they stored their bodies.  The helper in the back room would bring out the cases that were signed off for the mortuary to pick up and we would load them up into our vans and take them back to the prep room.  When the table arrived with little John Doe on it I saw a small white child body bag.  No more than three feet long, these bags were not a good sight.  When we opened the bag to check the toe tag id on the child I saw his pale, lifeless body.   John Doe's skin was charred and blistered.  There was no hair left on his little head.  The smell of BBQ lingered in the air.  Little John Doe had been burned.  Badly.  There is no more shocking sight than a child that was harmed.  What happened to this little boy?  I had to know.  Jessica, the back room tech began telling me the story...  Little John Doe's parents had been having a party.  When distractions mount, an infant falls into a fire pit in the backyard.  The only safe place on his body was under his soaked diaper.  If he had been wearing a full body diaper maybe he would have lived.  His wet diaper saved that small area of his body.  I amount of make-up would cover the damage done to his body.  I took him back to the mortuary and put his little body into the cooler.  After the door of the mortuary closed behind me at the end of that day I let out a big sigh.  There is nothing gain from death.  There is a lesson to be learned though.  Don't turn your back on your child for even a minute.  The smallest action could have the greatest consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment